Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Update and Giant Sable Antelopes

Its been a while since I've been able to update my blog, but life has been driving me crazy as of late!

Speaking of driving, I did get that license! That project is accomplished!! While I still cannot actually drive anywhere due to lack of car, I can get into other persons' vehicles and take them for a ride. This does not mean I am forever the designated driver by the way... Sometimes, I too need a drink haha.

GREs have been driving me a tad crazy... I actually do enjoy studying, but that only becomes true once I get into it. I realize I need my Chopin Pandora station to concentrate and feel relaxed. Even math is tolerable with a little piano classics playing in the background. Vocab learning is in full swing, and thats probably the most tedious part of my prep. By the way, the word Slake... I've been trying to learn it for 2 weeks and just cannot for the life of me care enough about it...it keeps ending up in my "words I have yet to get" pile...what does it mean...let me look it up... oh yea to lessen the force of, to satisfy, to moderate, to abate... maybe I'll finally remember it...

Besides the work and studying and cooking and cleaning, I got to enjoy the first of the zoo's Evening Lecture Series. Today's topic was The Great Sable Antelope: Back from the Ashes. Renowned journalist John Frederick Walker has been involved in African wildlife conservation through writing and expeditions since 1986. He was very interested in the Giant Sable Antelope, which were thought to be extinct during the 27 year Civil war in Angola. The males grow an impressive set of horns that can be as long as 54inches!! They're magnificently curved and just breathtaking These majestic sable only live in remote areas of Angola, and their habitat was a war zone. In the 90's some of these animals were re-discovered again, but there was no clear indication that there was a sustainable population of individuals that can repopulate the species into survival. This animal was also kept secret by the native tribes in the area, because the animal was sacred to them. It is these individuals from the two tribes, who became the game wardens/protectors once sanctuaries were established for this species. The Giant Sable Antelope is after all the national animal of Angola and Angolians are very proud of this. In the late 90's projects were funded by oil companies (ironically) to help restore the species with captive breeding programs. The project was a success after many years of trying and in 2009 Giant Sable offspring were recorded for the first time in decades. A breakthrough really, because this animal was doomed, but in the end prevailed!! lets hope these majestic creatures will continue to thrive and burgeon (GRE word hehe)...







For more information about this amazing animal and incredible story, check out John Frederick Walker's book A Certain Curve of Horn , which recieved much praise within the conservation circle. Also check out his web page for information about lectures, writings, and also his artwork, which is just brilliant. http://johnfrederickwalker.com

1 comment: