Sunday, March 13, 2011

The GRE journey begins...among other things

Today I registered for the GRE exam. I'll be taking it on Monday July 18th 2011, at 12:30PM in Queens NYC. The damn thing cost $160, but thanks to the Tax Gods I can afford it haha. I have a while to conquer the strategy. If I start studying the week of the 22nd, that leaves me with 4 months to study....I think I'll be good. I'm sure I'll have some witty vocabulary blogs, as well as frustrating math problem blogs. I'm already entertained, and I haven't even begun! I bought the essential vocabuary flash cards. Those will come with me everywhere I go, because its easy to carry and great to kill time, especially when I'm travelling between CT and NYC on the train. Perfect. I mean I woud prefer a novel, but this is essential to my future! Kinga is a darling for giving me her old GRE test prep book.

I should put a countdown timer on here, and a progress meter or something. Gotta keep track of my goal!

Now just for the record, if any of my coworkers are reading this, don't fret! The scores are good for 5 years! I just need to do this because I think about Grad school often, and the test is changing, and I need to do it before it changes into something frightening! Wow if I wrote that last sentence in a GRE essay, I would fail. It was a terrible run on, and badly structured hahaha.

What else is new? Well, I have NOT been driving in a car since the accident. My plan is to get back in the saddle this coming week, and the week after. The test is on March 26th. I think I'm good. I just have to get over the accident part. I also realized that I would have to get insured under someone, probably my mom, so I can legally drive in a private vehicle. That's gonna be an expensive headache!

This weekend I promise recipes. I'm overdue and I apologize. Its been a hectic few days. There will probably be one complete meal on here and it will be delicious!

I bought a new point and shoot digital camera. My little "pocket" one broke after several LONG years. It was time for a new one (again thank you Tax Gods!). It was only 146 with shipping and tax. Its a Sony Cyber-Shot, like my last one, but better! I decided to go with a Sony as opposed to a Nikon or Cannon, mainly because I have memory cards to go in a Sony and a battery and charger. This way I don't have to dish out even more money on those items. I wanted a green one, because I'm 27 and still have a favorite color, but instead I got a blue one. It was so pretty I couldn't resist! I just hope it ships in time for next weekend. I really wanna take pictures at Kinga's birthday party.

and I ramble on...Time for a movie and some lite supper :)

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on committing to taking the GRE! You are really smart to take the current test and get scores you can use for the next five years. As a Kaplan teacher, I know that it's going to be tough to get test times in July, since a lot of people will wait until closer to the last minute.

    You might enjoy this (free!) 20-minute GRE workout: http://kaplanworkout.com to help your studying motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Elisa. Thank you for the website as well. I'm sure I'll use it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MartiniZee,

    You're quite welcome! Please let me know if there's anything else you might want to know about. I'm a big fan of the Kaplan GRE Blog, too--it's sort of a well kept secret, with loads of useful ideas all from experienced teachers.

    ReplyDelete